Friday, April 22, 2011

1st Blogoversary Tutorial - Sunflower Study

This is a quick tutorial on how I did a study of a sunflower.

1.  First I sketched a sunflower from a reference photo & then I inked it.  The most important thing to remember is to really SEE what you are drawing!  Not what you think it looks like, but what it really looks like.  Take time to really look at your reference, even before you start sketching.
2.  Next I used watercolor pencils to add the local colors of the flower & background.


3.  Next I wet down the water color pencil with my water brushes.  Let dry.


4.  Then I used the watercolor pencils to add shadows and darken the background.
5.  Last I wet down the added colors, & here you have the finished study.  Let dry.

Here is a pic of the only tools I used.


If I were to go from the finished study to a full size painting, there may be some changes I'd make, but it gives me a great start.

No comments: